by Marion Swaybill
Submitted Tracy Leddy, Nantucket
2 TBSP butter or olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
1 TBSP ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ancho chili powder (optional)
2-3 cups canned San Marzano tomatoes and juice puree from the can
2 cups (14 oz) red lentils
salt (sea salt or kosher salt)
2-3 fresh limes
1. Melt the butter (or heat the olive oil) in a large pot. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook over moderate heat for approximately 5 minutes, until all vegetables are softened. Add the cumin, coriander, and chili powder. Cook for approximately 3 minutes, until fragrant.
2. Add the tomatoes and their juice. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, breaking up the tomatoes as they cook.
3. Add the lentils along with 6-8 cups of water. Season with salt to taste.
4. Simmer over moderately low heat until the lentils are very soft and everything is well blended. This will take 30-50 minutes, depending on the size of the lentils.
5. When the soup has cooked enough to work with easily, puree in small batches in a blender (or food processor).
6. Add a few squeezes of fresh lime juice.
7. Taste/correct for salt and seasonings.
8. Mix 1-2 cups of Greek yogurt with the zest of a lime. Serve on the side.
9. Cut the zested lime(s) into wedges and serve with the soup.
Serves 8: this is SUPER comfort food.